I'm talking about the never-ending-project called patchwork quilt: I finished the paatcchwork part! Some of you may have followed it from the beginning, either here or on my WIP at N&S.
For everyone else and those who lost track, I thought I'd make a little wrap-up:
It started on the 4.8.2011 with 200 hexagonal paper jigsaws, a small pile of fabric (I underestimated the fabric use greatly, so this pile would grow during the time) and the ambitious intention to hand-sew an English Quilt, following the example of Ette's wonderful one.
I started very motivated. First, I made flowers, the highlights of the quilt:
By October 2011, the center piece, consisting of 7 flowers, was completed:
After that, I moved on to the side parts. Don't they look like flower beds?
From that point on, the quilt became too big to take with me, so I could only work on it at home (before, I took ot witht me on the train or when going to my mum's place etc.). I conected the middle and side parts:
Since it was easier to keep track of the pattern, I tried to work symmetrically. By June 2012, it looked like that:
After that, the thing was too big to be laid out in my room, so I had to photograph it in the living room (^.^). During my summer break, I had more time and motivation again, so by August 2012, I had all the flowers integrated:
And now, as I said, here it is:
For the record:
- 18 different fabrics
- 200 paper jigsaws
- 2 coils of sewing thread and basting thread each
- several needles
- countless hours of film and music
This equals in a monster with measurements 210 x 180 cm, consisting of 1621 hexagones!
Now comes part two: the quilting.
Since handquilting is something I never did before, I thought I'd make two matching pillows first, so I can practise. This is convenient, because the inner side of a pillow cover is not looked at too often and I also can decide over the quilt pattern.
So I hope you're still with me! (^.-)